Tuesday, March 3, 2009

3.3 grocery shopping and menu plan

Total: $51.60
I have not been doing well at coupon clipping lately. I admit it takes up a lot of time. Something I do not have a lot of. Well, I have the same amount of time as everybody else, yet I choose to spend it in different ways- in ways other than clipping coupons :) So I used the sale papers today and price-matched on a ton of produce. Among my best deals were:
  • head of lettuce- $.59
  • avocados- 2/$.79
  • bunch of broccoli- $.88
  • strawberries- $1.50
  • bell peppers- 3/$1 (These were almost $1 for 1 at Walmart's regular price!)

My best deal was on Huggies Diapers. I detest paying full price for diapers, so I was pleasantly surprised with this bargain. Albertson's had jumbo packs on sale for $7.98. I price-matched two packs at this price and then used a $5/1 coupon and a $3/1 coupon which I found linked at this post on Moneysavingmom.com. My end price for the 1st pack of diapers was $2.98 and my 2nd pack was $4.98! Unbelievable!! I was able to get 2 packs for under the price Walmart was selling 1 pack at regular price!

What was my worst deal? I decided to splurge and buy tahini sauce for some hummus I'd like to make this week. The tahini cost over $6, but I do hear that it lasts a long time. And hummus is filling and good for you- tons of fiber, plus really yummy, so I took the plunge.

How did you do this week on grocery shopping? Any great deals you'd like to share?


Breakfasts:
Tuesday- Oatmeal with Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, and Raisins
Wednesday- Pancakes (from freezer) and Fruit Syrup
Thursday- Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits (with fresh strawberries :)
Friday- Sausage Biscuits (biscuits leftover from Tuesday night)
Saturday- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothies
Monday- Oatmeal with Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, and Raisins
Lunches:
Tuesday- Leftover Gumbo
Wednesday- Garden Veggie Soup
Thursday- Chicken Sandwiches and Carrots
Friday- Garden Veggie Soup
Saturday- Cheese Quesadillas and Refried Beans
Sunday- Lunch Out
Monday- Leftover Cornmeal Chicken
Dinners:
Tuesday- Whole Wheat Biscuits (Cooking Light: Low Fat/Low Cal)
Wednesday- Small Group Meal (Bringing Sweet Tea and Brownie Trifle)
Thursday- Taco Soup and Homemade Bread
Friday- Chicken Sandwiches and Hummus
Saturday- Hamburgers/Hotdogs at a friend's Birthday Party
Sunday- Cornmeal Chicken (Cooking Light: Low Fat/Low Cal), 4-Cheese Mashed Potatoes, and
Broccoli
Monday- Pork Stew over Rice and Homemade Bread

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Robin! I just discovered your blog! I enjoyed our visit today and I meant to ask about your grocery shopping. It looks like you are doing great! Jason just redid his blog to include me writing things from the wife's point of view and I also want to share about shopping deals, healthy cooking, etc. I am going to attempt to add you to our blogroll (I am still learning how to do all this stuff!) We are http://thewordisnotimprisoned.wordpress.com/