Saturday, February 14, 2009

kool-aid playdough

Noah (2.5) goes to a 2 day-a-week program at a local church. I taught at the school previous to having Jude (8 months), but only sub this year. Noah is still able to go to the school at the discounted rate as long as I sub twice a month. This is a great deal since I get paid to sub and then pay a small amount in tuition. This is also a great deal because on most Tuesdays and Thursdays I can run errands without having two little ones in tow :)
This week Noah's class celebrated Valentine's Day by eating cupcakes and giving each other Valentine cards. We made Kool-aid Playdough in little sacks to give to all his friends. I was trying to think of a sugar-alternative and this sounded like a doable solution for 2 year olds.
Kool-Aid Playdough
Ingredients:
• 1 1/4 cup flour
• 1/4 cup salt
• 1 pkg unsweetened Kool-aid
• 1 cup boiling water
• 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Directions:
1. In a bowl, mix flour, salt and kool-aid.
2. Stir in water and oil
3. Knead with hands for about 5 minutes.
4. Store in ziploc bag for up to 2 months.
5. Use like playdough.
6. Smells wonderful and takes on the color of the koolaid.
We decided to use red Kool-aid for the occasion. After I finished kneading the dough, I formed it into several balls. I let the balls cool slightly before wrapping them in wax paper and then placing them in the treat bags.

I got these cute treat bags for $1 at Walmart! They came with silver twisty ties.

These are the completed bags.

I made these tags to put on the bags. The first one had the verse, "But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8). The Kool-aid Playdough recipe was on the second tag.

1 comment:

Megan said...

super fun idea! i might have to steal it in the future!