Saturday, February 7, 2009

a lesson in being flexible

In college, our BCM (Baptist Collegiate Ministry) Director encouraged us to wear a rubber band around our wrist to remind us to be flexible. We often did this during mission trips or big events on campus. This simple piece of rubber reminded us to be flexible, that things don't always go as planned.
I needed to have a rubber band on my wrist this week. So many things went opposite of how I would have liked for them to, including an ear infection. I tend to be a little OCD when it comes to matters of details and schedules. But the Lord is teaching me (slowly- it takes me a while to learn a lesson :) to depend on Him for everything. He is ultimately in control. It doesn't matter how much I try to micro-manage everthing and compartmentalize each area of each of our lives, God knows the details. He expects me to walk with Him, many times not knowing the next step. This is not only a huge lesson in being more flexible, but a bigger picture of what faith looks like. If I truly belive that God has ordered my steps, then I need to remain faithful to follow those steps, one day at a time.
"A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps" (Pro 16:9).

No comments: